We are available for private events and meetings seven days a week.
About Us
The Bright Shawl opened its doors in October 1925 and served as the first fundraising project for the Junior League of San Antonio, Inc (JLSA.) It was originally located in the Kampmann home on Nacogdoches Street. The name "The Bright Shawl" was borrowed from the popular novel written by Joseph Hergerheimer in the 1920's. Farris Linen, one of the shops sharing space with the Tearoom, donated a colorful shawl to symbolize the name. The barn in back of the Tearoom was rented to local artists for a fee of $10 per month.
During the early years, patronage was exclusive. Approximately 100 diners could be accommodated in the small space. By 1929, The Bright Shawl Tearoom had outgrown this location. A fundraiser held in conjunction with the opening of the Majestic Theater that year, raised the $30,000 necessary to move to the current location at 819 Augusta Street.
The new building, designed by architect Alfred Giles, had formally served as the home of Dr. and Mrs. C.E.R. King and their nine children. Lumber for the original house had been purchased from Steves Lumber Company and limestone was hauled from quarries in what is now Brackenridge Park (the San Antonio Zoo).
The extra space permitted style show luncheons, initiated in the 1930's. Mondays were designated Mexican food days to compensate for La Fonda's weekly closing. The facility continued to expand over the years, and in 1942, the Ivy Room was added in the space now occupied by the Gallery. The Tearoom was staffed by Junior League members who served as waitresses, hostesses and back-up cooks with a small paid staff and manager to tend to daily operations.