Our founder, Rudy Sang, was a cook in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Rudy served his country with pride, earning a Purple Heart when his destroyer was struck by a torpedo.
Chili was a favorite meal among the crew, and Tucker's original chili recipe came straight from the Navy Cook Book.
After the war, Rudy returned to his peacetime occupation as a meat cutter and in 1946, he opened his first restaurant at the corner of Ninth and Military in Fond du Lac. Then, in the mid-fifties, Rudy purchased property at the corner of 12th and Greenwood Streets and opened what would become known as the Greenwood Grill.
Tucker's signature item has always been our hamburgers, always prepared with fresh, high quality ground beef. Even today, many of our customers remember the slogan of the Greenwood Grill, "Seven hamburgers for a dollar," and over the years, business grew to the point where Rudy took on his daughter and son-in-law, Steve and Barbara Blagoue, as partners.