Originally opened as Patsy's on the Country Club Plaza, we are the oldest merchant on the Country Club Plaza. Patsy's was purchased in 1948 by Mr. Jerry Berger. Mr. Berger changed the name to Topsy's and registered Topsy's as a trademark July 1, 1950.Topsy's opened an additional four shops in the Kansas City area in 1967. Topsy's became a public-held corporation in 1968 and, using monies from the initial stock offering, expanded into operating snack bars in discount stores, mainly on the east and west coasts. By the late 1970's, the company had approximately 500 units in the United States and Canada. By the early 1980's, the company lost approximately half of its units due to the demise of the discount department stores.