Tom Koulax founded Tommy’s in 1946. The son of Greek immigrants, Tom engaged in various business ventures before founding the original stand at Beverly Blvd. and Rampart Blvd. in Los Angeles. It took some time before the public discovered his small stand. However, the many long hours of hard work and dedication toward quality and fast service finally paid off. By the mid 1950’s, the little stand gained a reputation like none other for the appetites of Los Angeles burger lovers.
In the 1960’s Tom had to expand his operation to accommodate the growth of his customer base. Soon he had acquired the entire southeast corner, along with a second serving station. By this time, it was apparent the public was hooked.