Our story begins with a colorful character that came to Provo from the East Coast in 1972 and opened a hole in the wall sandwich shop that built cooked bell peppers and steak sandwiches. Sawdust covered the floor, tree stumps doubled as chairs, and the walls were covered with photos and stories of his even more colorful mob friends (hence he named it ‘The Italian Place’).After only nine months in business he got restless, and talked a couple of BYU students into paying him $10,000 for his used grill, fridge, and slicer. Over the next two years The Italian Place started to become a Provo favorite!
A second Provo store opened on University Avenue and another on 1086 S. State in Orem in 1974. Customers who lived out of town kept asking if they could have their own store back home where they lived. This lead to franchised locations in 8 states by about 1977.