The Inn at Shelburne Farms on the shores of Lake Champlain was originally the 19th-century country home of Dr. William Seward and Lila Vanderbilt Webb. Restored in 1987, the inn today retains its historic character and continues the tradition of warmth, informal elegance and hospitality enjoyed by guests for more than a century. Shelburne Farms was created as a model agricultural estate in 1886 by William Seward and Lila Vanderbilt Webb. In 1972, it became an educational nonprofit. Our nearly 400 acres of woodlands are Green Certified from the American Tree Farm System. Our grass-based dairy has 125 purebred, registered Brown Swiss cows. Their milk is transformed into our award-winning farmhouse cheddar cheese here on the property.