The George Washington Hotel was developed by the American Hotels Corporation as part of "The Colonial Chain" of hotels. One of Winchester's tallest buildings, The George Washington Hotel is a prominent 5-story building. The original 1924 building was L-shaped with a rear one story kitchen wing. The property was remodeled in 1950 to include a Howard Johnson's restaurant with a new Cameron Street Lower Level entrance. During its later years, the hotel served as a resting spot for traveling salesmen and touring groups. The Vienna Boys Choir stayed while on tour at the hotel and treated hotel guests to a song of grace during dinner service.