The Clarmont was founded in 1947 by Frank Kondos. He was the first restaurateur to open a fine dining facility on the south side of the city. Mr. Bigelow enhanced the restaurant by offering more fresh fish and seafood to the menu, and by starting the Showgoers Club, combining dinner and theatre packages. Bigelow sold the restaurant to its current owner Thom Coffman in 1996. Mr. Coffman's goal is to keep the ambiance of the restaurant comfortable and warm, and raise the standards of the food by adding new items. The restaurant is in its 63rd year, far exceeding any other "white-tablecloth" restaurant in Columbus.