In 1907, a small cafe with only a horseshoe-shaped bar opened its doors to the bustling community of Bessemer, Alabama. Outgrowing three locations, the Bright Star moved to its present site in 1914, and patrons were introduced to a new dining atmosphere. Ceiling fans, tile floors, mirrored and marbled walls - most of which exist today - reflect the style of that era. Murals painted by an itinerant European artist are another interesting feature of the past. Major alterations and renovations of the premises and kitchen were completed in 1966, and the dining room was expanded in 1978 with the addition of the "1907" room. Because of its growing popularity as well as the need for additional banquet space, the final expansion of the Bright Star occurred in 1985 with the addition of the "Dixie" and the "Green" rooms.