Tent City opened in June of 1900 and quickly became a very fashionable vacation destination during the summer season. This makeshift city was located just south of the Hotel Del Coronado. It attracted residents of nearby hot desert valleys, presidents, actors, authors, and those wishing to save on the higher cost of the hotel and yet still enjoy all the amenities. The invention of the automobile and the growing popularity of driving to the developed beaches along Mission Bay began the demise of Coronado's "Tent CIty", which offically closed in 1939. Tent City Restaurant opened in June of 2002 and continues to celebrate an era of Coronado's History.