Ta-boo was opened in 1941 by Ted Stone shortly before the U.S. entered World War II. Stone owned the restaurant for 14 years before selling it to Jim Peterson in 1955. Peterson held on to Ta-boo until 1975, after which it underwent several ownership changes until Franklyn deMarco and Nancy Simmons (formerly Nancy Sharigan) reopened the doors in October of 1990. From the beginning, Ta-boo quickly became a haven for it’s wealthy and well known patrons. Sporting an intimate bar and roll-away roof that allowed dining under the stars, the restaurant drew the likes of John F. Kennedy, Frank Sinatra, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and other celebrities.