Built in 1868 in the Greek Revival Style, the building Located at 48 Temple Place in Downtown Crossing was one of the first in Boston to use milled granite from the nearby Quincy quarry on its façade. This enabled the structure to survive Boston's Great fire of 1872, which destroyed 800 structures between Boston common and the waterfront. As a result, 48 Temple Place is among the oldest buildings in the area. The original occupant in 1868 was Chandler's Corset Store. In that era Temple
Place was the "Newbury Street" of Boston, focusing on female fashion. The next tenant was a sewing machine retailer, and soon after that it became home to the fourth business incorporated in the United States. Founded in 1800 as Stoddard's Bait and Tackle, when the waters of the harbor were a stone's throw away, the store quickly evolved into Stoddard's Fine Cutlery. There were many historic events occurring at that time: John Adams was moving into the White House, while The Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, and the Siege of Boston
were still within memory of Stoddard's earliest Customers. The historic significance of this property and its occupants are not forgotten, as elements and tributes to the building's history are displayed throughout the newest incarnation: Stoddard's Fine Food & Ale.