In 1935 Taisuke and Katsuko Sekiya first started their restaurant “School Delicatessen” on School Street. They began by selling various okazu (Japanese delicatessen foods), shave ice, and ice cream. Sekiya’s sold plate lunches during the World War II at 10 cents a portion, with 50 cents one could get a big lunch. By 1944, close to the end of the war, they were serving saimin and BBQ sticks.
This is an old photo of the original delicatessen that started it all.