The Putnam House Restaurant is located at 12 Depot Place in Bethel, Connecticut. The Putnam House building was built in 1852 as The Putnam House Hotel. The hotel, at the time, was owned by Frank A. Judd. Mr. Judd was a partner of J.B. & F.A Judd Hatters Co. Frank A. Judd's Office at the time was on Center Street, (which is now Greenwood Ave.) Frank was married to Sarah E. Conklin and was probably a member of the early Bethel family for whom Judd Avenue is named. The land on which the Putnam House was built belonged to Seth Seelye, the town's first selectman and prominent Bethelite whose home was donated by heirs to be used as the library.
Little is known about the hotel or its operations, but during the next century, the house changed hands several times. In 1955, it was purchased by George Shaker, local realtor, and turned into apartments until it was turned into the first of six restaurants in 1982. The restaurant was originally called Dickson's then La Plume, Papa Gallo's, Mackenzie's Old Ale House, Monetti's and is currently The Putnam House Restaurant and Tap Room. Successfully run since 1998, the restaurant and building are currently owned by Daniel J. Mottola. The Restaurant consists of an elegant dining room, a tap room, bar, seasonal outdoor patio & 3 private dining rooms. The building also offers a high end hair salon known as Rue De Sean Salon