PETER PRATT'S INN, an old converted colonial home with 200 year old sugar maple trees lining the front of the property, is located in the oldest section of Yorktown and is situated at the battle site of the demise of General George Washington's Northern Continental Command Post to the British Tories in 1781. Across the street is one of the oldest structures in Westchester, the Davenport House, which served as General Washington's command post during the Revolutionary War.
The restaurant area was originally the foundation of a barn built in 1780. The dining room remains authentic in its colonial design and construction. Overhead, thick, petrified chestnut beams rest on granite boulders, the foundation for 75% of the building.
The Inn was a part of the Carpenter-Davenport homestead which encompassed 250 acres including the land of Loch Ledge Country Club (off Route 118). In 1823, the center section of the building was constructed in colonial design, the wings added in Victorian shape years afterwards to make room for the new Daniel Griffen ownership, and his children's children. (Daniel Griffen married Amy Carpenter who inherited this land from her great grandmother, Rachel Davenport). Finally, in 1861, Daniel Griffen completed the house as you see it today.