We started in 1955 in an old one story building near the Chickahominy River. At that time it was a tea room serving ham biscuits and homemade pie as well as selling antiques, gas, and cigarettes. After a robbery, Miss Melinda found this property on Jamestown Road. The bank hesitated to give her a loan because it was too far out in the country. They now have a branch a block away! The building was ready in 1962 and was constructed of new materials and architectural salvage from the area. The paneling in the back of the shop was from the plantation home Carter's Grove, acquired when the owner did some remodeling.