The Merritt Canteen was established in 1942. It started out as a little hut serving the best dogs, burgers and seafood around. In 1958 Lorraine Kohn, the original owner, decided to level the building and build a state of the art drive in restaurant. It had an ice cream parlor, overhead doors as entrances and an outdoor patio. It was the first of its kind in the area.