Mary Coyle and her husband Walter Coyle had originally opened 5 Mary Coyle Ice Cream Parlors. The original store was on Exchange Street. In 1951, the Coyles decided to move out west and they sold 4 out of the 5 stores they owned. The store in Highland Square was the last one they sold, and the one still in operation. It was later owned by Jack Coultrap, who had it from 1963 to 1984. It was then purchased by Michael Trecaso, who, at the time, owned Michael Trecaso's Italian Restaurant, near the University of Akron.