"The Maple" has been a familiar face on Ukiah's landscape for almost a century.
It started in 1922, when brothers Tom and Paul Poulos established "The Redwood Empire Confectionery," and began serving ice cream and candy to the Ukiah community. Three decades later the brothers changed the name to "The Maple Cafe," and converted it to a cafe and cocktail lounge.
In the 1960's the Poulos brothers retired and sold the cafe to their nephew John "Ted" Vasilopoulos and his wife, Katrina. Ted and his family, continued to serve the local community for many years until their retirement.
The Maple saw change of ownership two more times, the most recent being in May, 2012, when Brent and Rosemary Brown sold it to Ukiah native, Stan Singley, who became the 5th proud owner of the "Maple" along with his wife, Amy.