In 1948 Mr. & Mrs. Fred C. Lutz founded the Lutz Pastry Shop, Chicago's first Konditorei, or pastry shop, in its present location.
Initially, it occupied the corner store only, but through hard work and dedication to quality and high standards the Lutz's managed, in the early 60's, to enlarge the store to better serve the growing clientele, as well as to open an indoor Continental Cafe. In 1977, Lutz Cafe & Pastry Shop expanded once again to its present size. It now features an enclosed garden which is open Mother's day through October.Mr. and Mrs. Lutz oversaw a myriad of daily details, ensuring that products were properly made and displayed, that the bakers and pastry chefs had anticipated demand properly, that the dining room had fresh flowers, and that the orders were going out on time. Today Lutz Cafe and Pastry Shop continues this tradition down to the last detail, preserving the Lutz's vision for the business.