The Lombardo family began its legacy of fine restaurants in 1934. After immigrating to the United States from Sicily in the early 1900's, Angelo Lombardo, Sr. opened a small fruit and vegetable stand on the corners of Riverview and West Florissant in North St. Louis. In 1934, he expanded the business by adding a small restaurant. The Lombardo's now famous toasted ravioli helped the modest family business prosper.
In 1965, the produce stand was torn down to make room for a new and larger building that was to become Lombardo's Restaurant. The new restaurant was run primarily by Angelo's son August, Carmen and Angelo, Jr. and featured a varied menu of appetizers, pastas, chicken, steak and seafood entrees. The Lombardo family had successfully established a favorite dining and meeting spot for many St. Louisians.
The family tradition of fine dining does not end there, however. In 1991, Carmen's children Michael, Anthony and Karen opened Lombardo's Trattoria in the Drury Inn next to Union Station. Just one year after opening the restaurant, the Lombardo's were honored to serve President George Bush, his family and cabinet members following the St. Louis debate. The Trattoria is an excellent and ideal choice for business lunches during the week, casual dinners before sporting events or concerts, romantic dinners, and private meetings. In addition to the great food, atmosphere and service that the Lombardo family is famous for providing, the Trattoria also has private meeting rooms that accommodate up to 125 people and free parking.