In 1950, Roy and Koo Takakuwa opened a tiny retail outlet at 1703 Liliha Street selling Roy's loaves of bread. The popularity of his baked goods outgrew the little store, and in 1961, the Takakuwa's moved to Kuakini Street, but kept the Liliha name.Over the years, Liliha Bakery became an integral part of the community. Kids would stop on their way home from school and dig out coins for a glazed doughnut. Old friends would meet for a cup of coffee at the counter. Aunties would pick up a dobash cake for the family potluck. Some patrons have been coming to the bakery for decades, and staff members have watched families grow and change over the years.