The building now housing Liberty Bar at the Convent has a long and varied history. It begins in 1883, when an architect named Edward Elmendorf built a house for his family at 1119 South Alamo Street. In 1939, the house that Edward Elmendorf built underwent serious renovation. At a cost of $20,000 it was transformed from a one-story single-family dwelling to the three-story building that stands today. It became the mother house for the Benedictine Sisters, and the words “St. Scholastica” were inscribed on the lintel over the front door.