La Ginestra was started in 1964 by Salvatore and Maria Aversa.
In Sorrento, Italy, Sal worked at this father's brick factory until he and Maria came to America in 1955. They worked at the french consulate in San Francisco and later Sal was a waiter and chef in several restaurants in San Francisco.
They fell in love with Marin County and in May 1964 opened La Ginestra. They named it "La Ginestra", a scotch broom, because the golden blossoms of this plant on Mt. Tamalpais reminded them of the slopes of Vesuvius in their beloved native region.
From that day in 1964 to 1983, patrons of La Ginestra enjoyed the familiar sight of "Sal" working happily in the kitchen or perched behind the cash register, jovially greeting all who entered.
We are proud that we have always been family owned and operated and a part of the Mill Valley community for over 50 years. Today, that commitment is carried on by Maria and her son, Tino, and the extended La Ginestra family.