The first KingFish Restaurant was opened on Derby Day, 1948, by Russell Austin and Henry Burns. The restaurant was named after the very popular radio program call Amos and Andy. One of the characters on the show was head of that Great Fraternity, The Mystic Knights of the Sea, he was known as KingFish. A refrigerator of fish, two fryers and a cooler of beer was housed in a building that Mr. Austin and Mr. Burns built with their own hands and was located at the foot of Fourth Street and River Road in downtown Louisville. A similar style building was opened on Upper River Road in 1955.The first Paddlewheel Boat design restaurant opened on Bardstown Road in 1962.