The Sheeley House has been serving customers in the Chippewa Valley in one capacity or another for over a century. At the height of the logging era, it was one of thirty boarding houses that furnished a home to loggers, railroaders, drifters and adventurers. The history of the site began before the Civil War when the first buildings were erected. In 1868 Carl Hering purchased the property and moved his family into the small house on River Street. Hering's carriage and blacksmith shop was located behind the house, facing Pine Street. John B. Paul, who operated a boarding house one block west of the Sheeley House, purchased the Hering property in 1884. He removed the small carriage shop and surfaced the entire building with local red brick. The Paul House had a ground floor saloon, first floor living quarters, a large kitchen, the boarders' dining room and second floor sleeping rooms. James Sheeley, an Irish immigrant, stayed at the Paul House while working on the railroad from Wabasha, Minnesota to Chippewa Falls.