In 1870, August Wacker, the son of a German winemaker immigrated to America. Moving west, Mr. Wacker found employment first with Mr. A Weigand, a prominent Indianapolis Florist. Later, as his interests broadened and prospered, he acquired a 90-acre farm at 30th and Meyers Road, later to become Cold Springs Road, where many prominent Indianapolis families resided in fine mansions. This is where August Wacker built his home. Eventually, he built and sold some forty homes on this farm property. His foresight and civic enthusiasm were instrumental in planning new streets, street lighting and street car service in his area. He devoted much time, energy and money in promoting the general improvement of property and living conditions in the northwest section of Indianapolis.