Since 1930, The Hearthstone Restaurant has been renowed for country food and fine family dining. Today it is Metamora's oldest business in continuous existence.
The Martindale Family erected the original building from local materials found in the Whitewater Valley. It was then operated by the Barth and AJ Brown families until 1946, when it was purchased by the Alsman family. This was the family that made the fried chicken, steak, ham, and catfish famous not only in the Valley, but throughout the tri-state area. In 1969, the main dining room was added and the old dining room was concerted to a lounge decorated by George C. Hillenbrand, using the theme from his horse park in Batesville.