Founded in 1899 by Lewis Hancock Jr., former mayor of Austin from 1895-1897, the Hancock Golf Course stands today as one of the oldest golf courses in the state of Texas. Although the course was re-named after Mr. Hancock in 1946, it was the original site of the Austin Country Club. At one time, the course maintained sand greens and 18 holes. Today, Hancock Golf Course is located in the heart of Austin; this par 35, 9-hole course carries up and down hills and over beautiful Waller Creek. The old course is relatively short by modern standards, featuring small, well-manicured greens typical of the era in which it was built.