The first Golden Rule opened it's doors in 1891, just a short distance from where the Irondale, Alabama location is today. The original building was a roadside stop for travelers making the journey to Atlanta. It served the public pork plates, beer, sold cigarettes, and with the invention of the automobile, occasionally did automobile repairs. It also served as a gathering spot for the locals in the area, and the Williams family kept the restaurant in the family for close to forty years. The picture of the original building was taken in 1918.