The first Golden Rule opened it's doors in 1891, just a short distance from where the Irondale, Alabama location is today. The original building was a roadside stop for travelers making the journey to Atlanta. It served the public pork plates, beer, sold cigarettes, and with the invention of the automobile, occasionally did automobile repairs. It also served as a gathering spot for the locals in the area, and the Williams family kept the restaurant in the family for close to forty years. The picture of the original building was taken in 1918. In the late 1930's, Jabo and Ellene Stone purchased the Golden Rule, and built a new building shortly after acquiring the restaurant. The original property was sold and Jabo bought a large piece of land closer to the county line. The Golden Rule was built on the edge of Atlanta Highway. On the back side of the property he built his home. Jabo's new building had a wood floor for the customers in the front of the restaurant, built like a deck, right on top of the ground , spanning the walls of the inside of the building. As with the original building, this building utilized a dirt floor for the kitchen. This building remained a Golden Rule until the 1950's, when setback guidelines forced Jabo to build another building.