The history of the Inn started with Thomas Stanton (Staunton, whose family goes back to the fifth century from Nottingham, England). At the age of 20, Thomas came to America from England and settled in Stonington, Connecticut. Thomas Stanton established a trading post near the mouth of the then the Pawcatuck River around 1647 to obtain furs form the Natives. In 1655 an Indian Sachem granted Thomas a tract of land in what is now the town of Charlestown in exchange for his services in arranging a ransom for the princess. This tract of land over four miles wide and 2 miles long. The one roomed gambrel-roofed house was once in a lottery by Thomas and moved and placed on the tract of land in 1667. The house served as a schoolhouse for the tutoring of Indian children and his own children. The room still exists at the inn and is known today as the “Indian Room”.