Coney Island was started by Jim Kapellas and Tom Sideras at the location of 114 S 4th Street in historic downtown La Crosse. It has been in continuous operation at this site since 1922. In 1962 Tom Sideras passed away and Tom Kapellas (son of Jim Kapellas) bought the business. Coney Island is a family run business with 4 members of the third generation presently working in the company. These are Ann Zumach, Joan, Jim and Chris Kapellas. There are also members of the fourth generation working when school is not in session.