Roberto and Isabel Sanchez came to the U.S. in the early 1900's from Mexico. They opened the very first mechanized tortilla factory in Northern California and sold tortillas by the pound, wrapped in paper and string. Through hard work and the help of their three kids: Juliana, Robert Jr. and Lupe, the business grew to a wholesale Mexicatessen. Tortillas were delivered by the hundreds in international diesel station wagons. In the 1960's Club Sanchez, helped pioneer San Francisco's Fillmore District jazz scenes.