Carolina’s Mexican Food has a long established reputation of making some of the best Mexican Food in the Southwest. It is a business that began as a dream of Manuel and Carolina Valenzuela in the 1950’s. In the early years the couple concentrated mostly on making home made tortillas, burritos, and tamales, selling them out of the back seat of the family car at wrestling matches and to migrant workers in the fields, always making sure the food was fresh and prepared in the traditional way taught to them by their parents. Yet from that meager beginning, with a lot of hard work, their dream became a reality. Manuel and Carolina opened their first restaurant at 105 W. Hilton, it was so small that two people holding hands could touch opposite walls. The grand opening was in the Spring of 1968, they used their savings of $400, and Manuel’s expertise of trading and bartering. Carolina’s first tortilla employee was Elvira Castellanos de Abril, who just happened to be the one who taught Carolina all her cooking skills, and was also her Mom. Elvira’s pay consisted of a few dollars for Bingo, with a ride to the Bingo Hall at the American Legion Post #1, no contract had to be drawn up, just a hug and a kiss. Carolina’s son Edward became a permanent and important part of the business, he took the position of pot and pans, promoting Dad to head cashier, again no contract was needed, just a firm handshake.