Carm's started out as a grocery store in 1929. The Italian Ice was made in front of the store in the summer from the months of April through September. Original Lemon was the only flavor made. When Grandma Mary Carm and Grandpa James Fontano retired from the grocery business, the birth of Carm?s as a fast-food restaurant was begun. It was also at that same time that the University of Illinois at Chicago (Circle Campus) was built. Carm's still exists at that same building. The restaurant now serves a variety of hot and cold sandwiches including the famous Italian Ice, consisting of Original Lemon and other delicious new flavors.