he Buccilli family was among the pioneers of the pizza industry in Michigan. The roots of Buccilli’s Pizza were established in the early 1950's, in the Metropolitan Detroit area. Using an old family recipe, brothers Melio, Angelo, and Pasquale (Betsy) Bacilli, opened pizzerias in Madison Heights (Melio’s), Hazel Park (De Angelo) and Clayson (Alvito’s). The popularity of the Bacilli brothers’ pizza soon became apparent when customers flocked to their restaurants.
It was 1951 when Meliorate hired his brother Betsy, who at the time was still in the construction business, to build Meliorate Heights Inn Pizzeria. After several months of planning, construction began, and in 1952 Meliorate was open for business at the corner of Eleven Mile Rd. & Stephenson Hwy in Madison Heights