William "Blackie" Blackstock founded Blackie's By The Sea in 1953. Back then, Newport Beach was only a summer vacation spot. Local surfers named the beach "Blackie's Beach", as it was the only structure they could see from the water. Blackie's was open from June through August, then closed for the rest of the year when everyone went back home. In 1961, Blackie sold the business to Joe Walker. Joe owned the bar for a period of three years, still keeping to the original summer schedule. In 1964 Joe sold the bar to Chuck Frei, who remains owner to this day. Chuck opened the bar year round, quickly making it a great location for locals to get together and relax. Blackie's was incorporated in 1973.