The Bistro 258 building was built in 1888 and was originally called the "Union Restaurant," owing to its proximity to the Union Pacific Railroad Depot.
The location of this Ogden Restaurant has always been a little on the "edgy" side of the otherwise squeaky-clean image of Utah and Salt Lake City. When the railroad came to Utah, it deliberately bypassed the Salt Lake City "Mormon" hub and came to Ogden, creating a wealth of commerce and industry.
Many of the buildings on 25th st. housed legitimate businesses, such as cafes, furniture stores and hotels. On the upper levels of the businesses, however, were several brothels. Our own building, at one time, housed "Mary Martin's Ritzi Rooms." Bistro 258 has been at least twelve different restaurants over its 120 year history and it still remains as one of the least disturbed buildings on the street.
There are many rumors about 25th st and its sordid past. It is said that during the days of prohibition liquor was transported through underground tunnels from the Depot to various speakeasies. There is a tunnel in our basement which heads east then dead-ends where new concrete foundations have been poured in the adjoining buildings.
Bistro 258 was founded by partners Todd Ferrario and Mike Attento in 2000. In 2007, the business was purchased by father and son duo Nick and Devin Cash. Owning a Utah Restaurant has always been a mutual dream for Nick and Devin. They are excited to share their dream with you.