The Barley Neck Inn had its beginnings in 1848, when Isaac and Mary Doane purchased the property which it now sits from Hannah Sparrow, widow of Josiah. Isaac Doane was one of four owners of the Cove Salt Works. By 1857, he and Mary had built a two room, two story Greek Revival house on their Barley Neck property. It extended to the pillar in the window seat of the current Doane Room. In 1868, Mary Doane, a widow at this time, sold the house to Captain Joseph Taylor, who had retired from the sea in 1866 as a partner in the Boston ship-owning firm of Seacomb and Taylor.