History of Milano & Aficionados - Unlike most towns and villages in southeast Louisiana, Houma’s name is not French. It was named after an Indian tribe that was known to camp nearby at the mouth of Ouiski Bayou on Little Bayou Black, and in the aboriginal, Houmas tongue, the name means “red.”
Terrebonne Parish was carved out of Lafourche Parish in 1822, and its first seat of government lay at Bayou Cane at about where Southland Mall is located today. Bayou Terrebonne flowed free from Bayou Lafourche in Thibodaux thus connecting the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico, and the stream was the main transportation route in the area. The new parish had about 2,000 people. In 1834, two entrepreneurs, H. M. Belanger and R. H. Grinage, donated ample sites for a courthouse and other amenities to the parish government in what was to become the town of Houma. Grinage bought out his partner’s interests and laid out lots around the courthouse property. On the original map, lot No. 9 is the site where Milano and Aficionados are situated today.